Friday Fictioneers: So Long, And Thanks For All The Plastic

Friday Fictioneers is hosted by Rochelle Wisoff-Fields who provides us with a photo prompt. Each week’s challenge is to write a 100-word story inspired by the photo. Click here to play along or just read more stories.


PHOTO PROMPT © Jean L. Hays

So Long, And Thanks For All The Plastic

The ocean was a dangerous place. Jenna knew it. Her mother wouldn’t let her forget.

When Jenna was young, they moved to Kansas. Her mother wanted to be far from the ocean. Jenna’s father died in the ocean. The ocean was a dangerous place.

Still, Jenna stared at the stained-glass dolphin picture dreaming of one day seeing the ocean, smelling the sea air, hearing its crash on the shore, and killing the dolphin who killed her father.

Marine life reclaimed the oceans when they learned to weaponize the plastic humans dumped into their home. The ocean is a dangerous place.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is obviously absurdist humor, but, come on:

38 thoughts on “Friday Fictioneers: So Long, And Thanks For All The Plastic

Add yours

  1. This is a twisted tale every which way. Plastic needs to be banned. Period. But when Iook around me at all of the plastic things I possess, I understand I’m part of the problem. I have read about two separate things that give me hope. 1) hemp can be made into better packaging than plastic for just about everything. 2) there are plastic-eating bacteria that are being developed. What happens to them once all of the plastic has been eaten in the sea, I don’t know.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Plastic’s everywhere. I always thought I was doing good by recycling. I found out recently something like 95% of the plastic we recycle ends up in landfills. The other 5% goes into the ocean. (That parts a joke, but not far from the truth.) Banning plastic is like banning fossil fuels. It’s great in theory, but how do we implement that? I only learned recently that there’s plastic in tea bags. Fortunately, my favorite, P.G. Tips, uses a plant-based substitute. We’re a plastic, disposable society. Your points do provide hope. I also found there’s a brewery in Florida called SaltWater Brewery, that makes edible six-pack rings using leftover barley.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. The video shows it is doable. Government paternalism doesn’t have to always be on the little guys and in a negative way. To outlaw plastic (and fossils fuels) and replace it/them with already existing alternatives, just like there are for fossil fuels, is what government was designed for (to the idealist.)

        Liked by 1 person

    1. That doesn’t sound very joyful.

      The photos are pretty not pretty. It’s terrifying and horrifying. We definitely deserve some kind of retribution. I’d like to see humanity take some responsibility and clean the planet.

      Like

    1. You, madame, are a traitor to your kind.

      Shhh… I’m with you. Meet me in resistance headquarters. It’s in my living room, made from couch cushions and sheets. Peglegs and parrots optional. Eyepatches mandatory. Aarg!

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Imagine a dolphin with nunchucks made from 6-pack rings and plastic water bottles filled with wet sand, standing vertically, charging the shore. “Ee-Ee-Ee-Ee!” Absurd!

      I’d prefer we find a peaceful resolution, but humanity doesn’t often seem capable.

      Aren’t the pictures horrifying? I couldn’t watch the video of the turtle with the straw in its nose.

      Thank you.

      Like

    1. That’s amazing and terrifying at the same time. It’s amazing they’ve been able to do that, but terrifying how seemingly endless the plastic is. Who knew plastic was the ocean’s renewable resource?

      Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at WordPress.com

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: